Thursday, June 23, 2011

Crab Au Gratin


I know I know I am taking forever to get these posts up but its a big week! Tuesday was Matt's birthday and Sunday is mine but we are celebrating tomorrow because my brother and his fiance are coming in town!!

Anyways tonight Matt had kick ball so I decide to make Crab Au Gratin from a Cajun cook book my mom gave me! Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 stick butter
1 medium onion
2 celery stalks
1 green pepper
4 Tbsp of flour
2 large egg yolks (whisked)
1 can carnation evaporated milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans Lump Crab meat
1 jar sliced mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1 block sharp cheddar cheese

First chop up the onion, pepper and celery
Next add them to a skillet with the melted stick of butter. This is what the Cajun's call "the holy trinity". It is the basis for most Cajun dishes. Next add in the flour, milk and soup let it thicken for a minute or so then put on another burner and allow to cool for around 5 minutes.

After it cools add in the 2 egg yolks. Now you will stir in the the crab (drained)

As well as the salt and pepper, mushrooms and cheese. Save some of the cheese for the top.

Butter a quart casserole dish. Put gratin into dish and top with cheese. Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake until brown on topped. Serve with crackers or crusty french bread.

I promise I will have another update ASAP!


No comments:

Post a Comment